Saturday, June 6, 2015

How to Love Fashion, Makeup, and Accessories Without Being Shallow

So a lot of people have the misconception that Fashion and its associates are only for shallow people and that any guy who likes it is a weirdo and any girl who likes it is just a drone following societies norms.
Why the fashion hate guys and gals?
I'll tell you why. Because fashion is misunderstood. And it is misunderstood because people have been pushing the wrong views on us for years. Well I'm here to clear up a few things about fashion and makeup and tell you what all the hype is about.

Misconception #1: It's too expensive.
Oh hell yeah. Stereotypical "women's" hobbies tend to be expensive and time consuming (how long do I have to spend putting makeup on anyway?) This is because, I think, people like to take advantage of the fact that beauty standards are pushed on women. They make money off it. However, not all makeup and fashion companies are bank breaking. I've found plenty of makeup companies that have moderately or low priced makeup that I like because it's colorful and/or themed and it does the job (i.e. it lasts for as long as I need it to). A lot of these are drug store companies, but some are independently owned online stores. And the same goes for clothing and jewelry. (Not to mention, places at the mall tend to have sales often.)

Misconception #2: The only purpose is in looking good to impress shallow people.
If you think that, you are wrong. That's not how it's supposed to be used at all. Fashion isn't about all the latest trends, it's about expressing yourself. Using it to look good is like using a book as a bug-squasher. You can use it for that purpose, but that's not it's best use, and it's an awful waste. Graphic tees that announce what fandoms you are a part of are just as much fashionable (and really cute, if I do say so myself) as gorgeous summer dresses. The point of wearing them is that you express yourself. You express that you like a certain show/movie/etc. You express that you're kind of artsy or quirky in a good way, or fun loving based on what patterns you wear. This is what fashion is about!

Misconception #3: It's not fun, it can't possibly be fun for anyone.
... No. You're wrong. You're just wrong. Look, it's fun because you like a top or a necklace or a scarf or eyeshadow and you wear it and you think "gee, I really like this, I don't care if other people do too or not, I just really like wearing it and it makes me feel confident and amazing. I shall definitely wear it again some time." It is also fun to just look through *non expensive* makeup stores, and clothing stores. Have you ever seen themed makeup? Something about makeup themes just makes me feel happy inside. Heck, any makeup with a catchy name is fun.
And sometimes, you can do what I call "modern-bounding" (Inspired by the concept of Disney-Bounding which you should look up.) Modern bounding is when you pick a character you like and you find a bunch of clothing and accessories that reminds you of said character, and maybe makes you look like a modern (or human/non-fantasy) version of said character, without being a costume. You can even get some makeup in a color scheme to match. And it's really fun. It's like cospaying but socially acceptable to wear everyday!

Misconception #4: School Uniforms are a good idea.
"Oh, Katherine, the good outweigh the bad on this one. Give it up, school uniforms are a good thing."
First off, people advocating for school uniforms claim that it prevents bullying. I don't know about you but I was bullied a lot in K-12, and at NO POINT in my life was I bullied about clothing. School uniforms are horrible things that take away a student's ability to express themselves through their appearance, and don't get me started on dress codes. If boys are "distracted" by a girl's appearance, it's a problem with the boy, not the girl. If you don't agree then instead of arguing, maybe just get off this blog. It' not right for you.

Anyway, I hope you come out of this with a new view on what Fashion, Accessories, and Makeup are good for. And that it's an okay hobby for men, women, and non-binary individuals alike. Happy fashion!

No comments:

Post a Comment