Saturday, June 6, 2015

On Avoiding Arguments and Confusion

Writing this because I KNOW that people are going to be confused with my Feminine Characters post.
I know and trust that most of y'all will understand my Feminine Characters post without having to read this, but I also feel like many people won't get it,
However, I am afraid that some people are going to read my Feminine Characters post and instantly think I hate masculine female and masculine male characters. Or that I want to push gender norms on women.
And I am going to tell you right now that that is wrong and also that you missed several of my points. I mentioned many times that I do NOT approve of gender norms (or any societal norms, for that matter. Poo on "the man"). Here's a simpler version of the feminine characters post not to be used as a substitute for reading the feminine characters post, but to be used as a means of clarifying things a bit.
1: I like strong female characters no matter if they are masculine or feminine or a mixture of both.
2: I'm just sad that many people cannot seem to portray feminine female characters (or feminine male characters) well. They are usually portrayed as love interests, shallow, or damsels in distress when they can be equally as cool as masculine female characters.
3: Similarly, feminine male characters are also portrayed poorly (often overly flamboyant and campy, and only gay male characters are portrayed as feminine.) Again, feminine male characters can be equally as cool as masculine male characters, whether gay or straight (or bi, etc.).

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment